There’s a wonderful marketplace called Etsy.com that is perfect for buying handmade crafts that other people have created, including handmade air fresheners.
These air fresheners are made by melting down plastic aroma beads that have absorbed scented oil. The melted plastic is held in a metal cookie cutter while it melts in the oven. Then, you put a hole through the plastic, which allows you to hang up the shape with a piece of string or ribbon.
If the aroma ever wears off, you can pour a bit of scented oil on the plastic, then let it sit inside a plastic baggy for a few hours. The oil will slowly soak back into the plastic design, re-scenting it with the fragrance of your choice. The plastic baggy will prevent the oil from just evaporating instead of soaking into the air freshener.
You can buy these pre-made at the links I’ve provided below each picture. Or, you can use these designs as inspiration for your own handmade air freshener when you follow my guide down below to make one yourself.
Let’s take a look at the various designs that different Etsy sellers have come up with:
1. These Lovely Sunflowers
2. Hot Pink Lips To Kiss Your Texan Llama’s Pineapple?!
3. Multi-Colored Cactus Shapes And a Martini Glass – Now We’re Talking! (And Yes – I Guess A Lot Of Texans Love Their Air Fresheners?)
4. Letters To Spell Your Initials, Or Anything Else
5. Some Shapes For The Sports Lovers
6. More Shapes In Every Variety You Could Ask For
7. A Flamingo For Getting In Touch With Your Hot Pink Side
8. A Dalmatian… Plus Other Dog Options (See Below Image)
9. Farm Animals Of Several Varieties
10. Get Scary With “Day Of The Dead” Skulls
How To Make Your Own Handmade Air Freshener
You Will Need These Materials:
- Unscented air freshener beads.
- Colored candle dye, for adding any color of your choice to the air freshener.
- Scented oil of any scent you want, for adding your chosen fragrance to the beads.
- A measuring cup.
- A sealable container, such as a mason jar or Tupperware container, for shaking up the beads covered in food coloring and scented oil.
- A metal cookie cutter shape of your choice. Or multiple shapes, for making different decorations at the same time.
- A metal baking sheet for melting your scented beads inside the cookie cutter shape in the oven.
- An oven.
- A thick screw with a flat top. This is for making a small hole in your decoration to put a string or ribbon through.
- String or ribbon of your choice.
Once you have the materials listed above, you can follow these easy steps for making your own hanging air freshener decoration.
Steps For Making The Scented & Colored Beads
- Measure one cup of unscented beads. Pour them into your air tight Tupperware or mason jar.
- Add a few drops of candle dye to the beads.
- Add two tablespoons of scented oil to the beads.
- Seal the container and shake it until all of the beads are covered in colored candle dye and scented oil.
- Let the sealed container of beads sit for 24 hours or until the beads are dry.
Steps For Turning Beads Into A Decoration
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
- Place your cookie cutter onto the baking sheet. Place the flat top screw in the spot where you want the string hole to be.
- Fill the cookie cutter about 3/4 full with scented beads.
- Put the baking sheet with your decorations into the oven. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Pop the melted plastic out of the cookie cutter. Remove the screw from the plastic.
- You can trim jagged edges off the plastic with a strong pair of scissors.
- Put a string through the hole. You’re done!
Before going into the oven in step #4, your decoration should look like this:
At step #7, you may want to remove poky parts of your decoration with scissors: